Regular Updates Weekly

My name is Hallan Turrek. This is my blog.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Things I Am and Could Have Been

Congratulations on the mess you made of things
I'm trying to reconstruct the air and all that brings
And oxidation is the compromise you own
But this is beginning to feel like the dog wants her bones, say
Tv On the Radio - DLZ

It's over.

So I got to spend a month in charge of an alliance. After losing a fairly large corp, while the DRF closed in, I took over the reins from an alliance leader who needed a break.

I'm a PvPer. I'm a PvEer. I do it all in this game. I don't like the neat stratification that everyone wants everyone else to be a part of. If you're on my side of the wars, you're on my side. I don't care if you're a carebear or the most hardened PvPer out there. There are no people that are less than me, just people who need to be educated and people who don't.

Still it was a change to go from the voice of reason and experience to the guy they have to listen to. To be sensitive to the amount of respect I get publicly... because I usually don't care. An alliance leader getting dissed is a big deal... because if it's not made into one... the level of respect for that leader goes down a lot. You gotta handle it carefully.

With help from subordinates(and a healthy dose of delegation) I got a moon mining/reaction operation underway providing the alliance with a few billion a month in income... our own set of renters were also paying us for the use of our space. I got a program going that provided pilots with PvP capable ships pre-built and ready to go. I got a mineral buy-sell program working for our miners. I improved our previously dismal participation in CTAs. There was a lot of contribution from the alliance members.

Of course, the time came for us to make a decision on staying or going. I made the decision to get out of Tenerifis. Since two weeks ago when I called that, the DRF has pushed all the way to our front door. They haven't started hitting our space, but then again... it's not really our space anymore anyway.

I've left the alliance, another of the larger corps has left as well. Split Infinity is down to 127 members. Half of that is almost certainly alts. The alliance hasn't completely failed, but it's coming close.

I had a lot of fun in there, and am only a little bit annoyed that my first foray into alliance leadership had to come at such a bad time for the alliance, but sometimes that's how it goes.

I got a little taste of a completely different gaming experience.

I think I like it.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you post on this Hallan. You were an asset to the alliance. You embraced the leadership opportunity when it was offered and did what you could to maintain/improve the alliance systems. Nearly impossible, however, to maintain those systems when everyone knew the proverbial evac order was imminent. When you know the curtain is falling on your sov, all interests relating to further investment in the alliance immediately begins to erode.

    You did the best you could, given the circumstances, and got to see first-hand how the leading cause of alliance failure in EVE (leadership/ownership vacuum) can dissolve large alliances very quickly.

    Fly Safe and sure to see you around.

    Star Defender

    ReplyDelete